All the bus prices listed below are a guide, updated October 2012.
The tickets include free pick up and booking from The Siem Reap Hostel. Generally pick up is 1 hour prior to departure.
1. Double check your ticket departure time and the pick up time they will probably be different 2. Take a baguette or some snacks with you, there are food stops on the way that mostly serve fried noodles or spiders if you’re lucky! 3. put some toilet paper in your pocket 4. Earplugs or headphones are a good way to avoid the karaoke unless you like to sing along in Khmer 5. Be prepared for lots of stops. Usually every 1.5 hours, the bus companies make a commission on the money travelers spend on the way through. 6. Sometimes you need to pay to use the toilet, take some small local notes like 500 Reil and 1,000 Reil notes. 7. Generally bus trips take longer than they tell you when you purchase your ticket so allow plenty of time if you are planning on catching a plane at your destination.
Siem Reap to Phnom Penh is 314 km’s
There are several options for travel between Phnom Penh and Siem Reap. These prices include free pick-up and booking from The Siem Reap Hostel 1 hour prior to departure:
Kick back in a sleeper bus and wake up at the beach! They’re actually relatively comfortable for a bus, with plenty of leg room to stretch out.
- Sleeper Bus $18 leaves 8.00pm and Midnight takes 11 hours
Tips: just make sure you don’t get the back row of seats, or you’ll be sitting up for 11 hours! Make sure you have some loo paper with you and take plenty of water.
Siem Reap to Battambang 175 km’s
Bus, boat or car, it really depends on how much time you have. The boat ride is incredibly scenic, however it’s a basic bench seat and can take up to 10 hours if the water levels are low, or the boat breaks down often.
- Early Bus $6 departs 7.30 or 8.30am takes 4 – 5 hours
- Boat $22 departs 7.00am takes approx 6 hours when the water levels are high in wet season July – December and up to 10 hours when the water levels are lower. This is an incredibly scenic journey.
- Private Taxi $35 leave anytime takes 4 hours
Siem Reap to Bangkok 540 km’s
Traveling between Siem Reap and Bangkok can be tricky overland, especially when crossing the Poipet border. This border crossing is well documented as being plagued by scams. There are often very long queues at the border crossing, so allow plenty of time if you plan on catching a plane from Bangkok after your bus trip.
- Bus leaves 8.00am for $11 or Midday for $13 and takes around 7 – 8 hours. We recommend taking the afternoon bus run, as there seems to be much less tourist traffic going through the border crossing. From personal experience, you can stuck here for up to 5 hours if you take the morning bus!
- Alternatively you can catch the bus to the Poipet border, cross through to Thailand and then take a private taxi on the other side. This is very easy to arrange, as there are many people who will want to avoid the long delays waiting for the bus to fill up. The bus from Siem Reap to the Poipet border costs $6 leaving at 8.00am or Midday and takes approx 3 – 4 hours.
At The Siem Reap Hostel we can also arrange travel to many other cities.
Ho Chi Minh City $21
We can also help advise on the best way to get up to Laos, just ask our helpful staff about your travel plans.